Monday, July 27, 2009

Chapter 2: Joe and Kandie

Here is chapter 2 of Joe and Kandie:

KandieJoeCh2

 

Chapter 2

    ~Joe and Janise~

    “What did you and Mrs. Bryson talk about?” I asked my mom as we walked away from Kandie and Mrs. Bryson. I followed her onto the front porch.
“I explained to Sarah what Kandie told me yesterday and she seemed to understand.” Mama sat down on the porch swing. I sat beside of her. “Sarah has always wanted the best for her children, I don’t understand how she missed what was going on with Kandie.”
“What else?” I asked as I glanced towards Kandie and Sarah as they headed towards the orchard.
“I asked if Kandie could stay one more night.” Mama said. “And if we could talk later about something.” She smiled at me.
“What?” I didn’t like the look she gave me.
“Nothing.” Mama said her eyes glinting.
“What are you going to talk about later?” I asked curiously,
“I can’t tell you.” Mama shook her head. “You’ll see later.”
I sighed. “OK.”
“You like her a lot don’t you?” Mama asked next.
I ran my finger along the chain of the swing. “Yes, I do.” I said. “I never stopped liking Kandie.” I looked my mother. “Why? Do I not need to?”
“No! That is fine. You can like whoever you want.” My mother smiled again. “If I could pick a girl for you it would be Kandie Bryson.”
I laughed. “I’m glad I have you’re approval.” I said. “I know you like her.”

~Kandie~
  

I walked back to the Guyers’ house with my mother. We saw Joe and Mrs. Guyer sitting on the porch so we joined them.
    “Hey.” Joe smiled at me.
“Hi.” I returned the smile. “Can we go un-saddle the horses?” I asked.
Joe nodded. “Sure.” He stood and we headed towards the barn. “What’d you say?” He
asked once we were out of hearing distance of our mothers.
“I told her  what I felt, and what I told you.” I replied.

1 comment:

  1. Still lovin' it! And still wondering about the "extra thing" she was talking about...

    The scene clearly showed the mother's approval for Joe's liking for Kandie; no hostility or worries about the match (there shouldn't be, anyway).

    And that extra bit that you didn't include on the forum before cleared things about about whether or not the "what do you want for Christmas" discussion came earlier or later; obviously it came later, which means the talk with his mom was a necessary inclusion, so the reader'll be aware of Janise's knowledge of Joe's feelings.

    Very good update, now on to the next one!

    ReplyDelete